Pairs of socks knitted in 2014

  • Roxanne's socks
  • Brian's Cascade socks
  • Shirley's lacy socks
  • striped Meredith socks
  • striped stranded #1

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Bedrest isn't forever...

For the last several OB-GYN visits, the doc has been expressing some concern that Shirley is a bit "small for dates." Which is a fancy medical way of saying that given my expected due date, she isn't measuring nearly as big as they would expect.

So yesterday I had another ultrasound to determine... something. (Unfortunately, I can't post the pictures from the laptop, as it has no scanner.) Brian and I were under the impression that the ultrasound was to sort out precisesly when Shirley was due, but the radiologist made a big point of saying that ultrasounds this late in pregnancy are unreliable for predicting due dates. (Something like a plus or minus three week margin of error.)

The ultrasound showed that Shirley is still smaller than would be expected given my due date, but she's completely normal. As Brian and I are both skinny people who come from families of skinny people, I'm not really expecting to pop out a 9 pound Amazon!

Apparently the OB is going with the first due date of March 3, 2008. Which means that I'm actually 34 weeks along. She also said that if I can get to 36 weeks gestation, I can get off the bedrest and the medications! (The risk of "neonatal mortality and morbidity" (more medicalspeak for "infant death and/or lasting handicaps") from prematurity drops significantly after 34 weeks, and anything after 37 weeks is considered "full-term.") While I won't be able to go back to work, I'm really looking forward to going out in public for things other than doctor's appointments!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh happy blogrings! You look wonderful! I'm sorry Shirley isn't being cooperative. Be glad you left when you did. OPR is crazy bad and getting worse.
-Monica